Software Quality : Introduction
- Software Quality refers to the ability of the software product to perform and responds, according to the need and requirement of the users.
- A software product which does not contains any errors or bugs i.e. A software product which is bug free refers to as a the quality of the software.
- Good design, Functionality, Consistency, Reliability and Maintenance are the factors of which leads to a good quality software.
Software Quality Attributes
- Attributes of the quality software can be defined as the key aspects and elements which derives any software product. There are multiple software quality attributes, some of them are:
- Function-Ability: It is defined as the ability of a software product, to perform functions as required by the users.
- Avail-Ability: It is defined as the ability of a software product, that can be used as per requirements.
- Correctness: It is defined as the ability of a software product, of being error and bug free and accurate too.
- Portability: It is defined as the ability of a software product, to adapt and perform on platform other than what it was originally designed for.
- Usability: It is defined as the ability of a software product, to make it user friendly and more accessible to users.
- Robustness: It is defined as the ability of a software product, to sustain severe conditions such as errors and defects and able to perform its functionality even in those situations.
- Readability: It is defined as the ability of a software product, to provide consistency and quality of documentation of the software product.
- Test-ability: It is defined as the ability to check the software product for errors and bugs.
Software Quality : Cost of Quality
- During testing of a software product, certain defects, errors, bugs and faults arises. They degrades the functionality of the software product. The total costs related to their occurrence, detection and prevention is referred to as the Cost of Quality(CoQ).
Software Quality : Basic Terminologies
- Bugs: When an error is found during the development phase and is accepted by developers is called as Bug.
- Defects: When the actual result deviates from the expected results and is found by testers then, it is called as defect in a software product.
- Error: When the functionality of the software products gets changed i.e. mistake made while coding are called as Errors. For example : Wrong syntax and infinite loops can cause errors.
- Faults: A wrong step or process which can cause a software product to behave inappropriately is called as Fault.
- Failures: When the faults in a software product gets executed, they turns into Failures.